Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Counting Gifts

Last year I read an amazing, life-changing book. It's called One Thousand Gifts, and it was written by Ann Voskamp. In her book she talks about the importance of gratitude. God has blessed us with so many gifts, and the least we can do in return is thank Him. Gratitude takes the focus off of us and onto Jesus, because He is the giver of every good gift. If you really think about it, we have no reason to complain, because we can have the Creator of the world as our Friend. For about a year and a half I kept a gratitude journal where I wrote down everyday the things that I was thankful for. This summer I slowly stopped doing that, and I think that I have complained and wanted more because of that. I follow Ann Voskamp's blog and was recently reminded of the importance of giving thanks daily. For this reason, I have decided to periodically post some of the things that I'm grateful for. Here it goes . . .

~a hot bonfire on a chilly night

~building friendships and community

~silly games that are ridiculously fun

~fog that makes everything look mysterious and enchanting

~colorful leaves scattered across the ground

~a hot cup of Earl Gray tea to warm me up

~that God's mercies are new in the morning

~a clean, organized room

~encouragement at a much needed time

~a reminder that God has me where He wants me

If you have some extra time, you should definitely read One Thousand Gifts, and even keep your own list of things you're thankful for. Ann Voskamp's writing is in a little different style, but it is very impacting and meaningful. If you end up reading her book, tell me what you think! Are there any other great books that you've been reading? Let me know! I'd love to hear what you think about this subject of gratitude too!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, amazing how much there is to be thankful for! Even just the smallest things that bring us joy and comfort are gifts from God :) That book is on my long list of must reads for winter break! I too am so thankful that His mercies are new every morning! Praise the Lord :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! Sometimes we get so overwelmed by the things we have going wrong that we forget all the sometimes small amazing things. I love your list, they are things I love but wouldn't have thought of them right away. I guess I would have initially thought of things I use or do every day but we should be grateful for everything. You are awesome Susie! Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete